Websense Vs. McAfee Web Gateway
- McAfee Web Gateway was acquired from Secure Computing in 2008
- McAfee Web Gateway was updated in 2010 with a complex new rules based interface
- McAfee offers a Hosted Web security service that is not integrated with the Web Gateway appliance
Why purchase McAfee Web Gateway?
- Customers often receive "bundle" discounts when renewing their desktop AV subscriptions
- McAfee has a strong reputation for advanced anti-virus products
Web Security Buying Criteria:
- Dynamic protection against modern threats
- Web 2.0 dynamic website policy enforcement
- Low management overhead and lower costs
- Consistent protection on and off network
- Integrated enterprise-class data loss prevention
- Block and throttle web protocols, sites and categories.
Questions to ask McAfee:
- Can I manage and protect on-premise and cloud protected users with a single policy?
- How does MWG support roaming laptop users?
- Can I add a website to a block list or "whitelist" without using regex or GLOB?
- How many predefined data loss policy templates are included?
- Can you demonstrate blocking and throttling of protocols such as Bittorrent?
Miercom Labs Independent Test Results
Why Websense Web Security Gateway is better:
Websense’s advanced real-time security scanning protects users from modern threats like Aurora. Signature based malware detection and anti-virus does not detect modern, zero-day threats. When a reputable web site has been compromised and is delivering malicious code to browsers, anti-virus, URL lists and reputation systems can’t deliver the protection you need.
Advanced protection for outbound threats:
Websense detects and blocks outbound "bot" clients that communicate to the internet to obtain directions from hackers at far off locations.
Websense detects unknown viruses that the top 5 anti-virus engines miss.
Dynamic Web 2.0 pages within sites such as Facebook or Twitter change minute by minute. Websense’s real time categorization engine ensures that pages are correctly categorized based on their content, not the category of the parent web site. McAfee uses a static URL database that lacks the ability to enforce your policies with modern Web 2.0 sites.
WSG Anywhere delivers unified policy management and reporting for both on-premise, and "in the cloud" mobile users & branch offices. McAfee lacks any integrated solution for out-of-network users. Customers must additionally purchase MXLogic based hosted web service which is managed separately.
Outbound Data Loss Prevention:
Websense protects your company from loss of sensitive information via the web with enterprise class Web DLP. McAfee requires the purchase installation and management of another product for similar capabilities.
Application and Bandwidth Control:
WSG enables blocking and bandwidth control of thousands of applications and more than 125 protocols using advanced application signatures. McAfee does not have protocol knowledge and has no throttling.