Websense Vs. Cisco Web Security Gateway
- The IronPort S series of secure web gateway is based on the IronPort e-mail security appliance
- The recent addition of new features still does not bridge the traditional gap with Websense
Why purchase Cisco IronPort Web Gateway?
- Customers often receive discounts on Cisco security products when buying new switches
- Customers currently own an IronPort E-mail security appliance and believe the web appliance will deliver unified security
Web Security Buying Criteria:
- Dynamic protection against modern threats
- Web 2.0 dynamic website policy enforcement
- Low management overhead and lower costs
- Consistent protection on and off network
- Integrated enterprise-class data loss prevention
- Real time monitoring & control capabilities
Questions to ask Cisco:
- How do you inspect for advanced malware?
- How does running a standard AV engine at the gateway and the endpoint improve security?
- Can I manage on-premise and cloud protected users with a single policy?
- Does IronPort support roaming laptop users without the need for another Cisco appliance?
- Do I have to buy a 3rd party solution for DLP?
- Can traffic be monitored in real time?
Miercom Labs Independent Test Results
Why Websense Web Security Gateway is better:
Protection from Modern Threats:Websense’s advanced real-time security scanning protects users from modern threats. Signature based malware detection and anti-virus used by Cisco does not detect modern, zero-day threats. When a reputable web site has been compromised and is delivering malicious code to browsers, anti-virus, URL lists and reputation systems can’t deliver the protection you need.
Advanced protection for outbound threats:
Websense detects and blocks outbound "bot" clients that communicate to the internet to obtain directions from hackers at far off locations no matter what port is used to avoid detection..
Control for Web 2.0:
Dynamic Web 2.0 pages within sites such as Facebook or Twitter change minute by minute. Websense’s real time categorization engine ensures that pages are correctly categorized based on their content, not the category of the parent web site. Cisco dynamic categorization only covers objectionable sites and lacks the ability to enforce your policies with modern Web 2.0 sites.
WSG Anywhere delivers unified policy management, reporting and real time security for both on-premise, and "in the cloud" mobile users via the new Hosted Agent & branch offices. Cisco lacks any integrated solution for out-of-network users. Customers must purchase ScanSafe hosted web service which is managed separately and uses different scanning engines.
Outbound Data Loss Prevention:
Websense protects your company from loss of sensitive information via the web for enterprise class Web DLP. Cisco requires the purchase of a 3rd party product for similar capabilities.